Administrative Procedure 206
The Human Sexuality components of provincial curriculum shall be taught in Wild Rose School Division , subject to the following administrative procedures:
1. Prior to offering any part of the Human Sexuality component to students, Principals shall provide parents an opportunity to become familiar with the curriculum and resources to be used.
2. Parents shall be given the choice as to whether or not to have their children participate in the program. (AP 205 Controversial Issues and AP 205.1 Notice form under Section 11.1 Alberta Human Rights Act).
3. Suitable educational alternatives shall be provided for those children who do not participate.
4. The selection of the teacher for this strand should be done with sensitivity.
5. The use of community resource personnel (e.g. Health Unit) trained or knowledgeable in this area is encouraged.
6. Any changes or additions to the approved Human Sexuality strand must receive written approval from the Superintendent or designate.
Reviewed: October, 2011
Next Review by: October, 2016
School Act Section 39, 60, 61, 113
Alberta Bill of Rights
Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedom
Guide to Education ECS to Grade 12
Alberta Human Rights Act
Ministerial Directive 4.1.2 – Human Sexuality Education
Policy 11 Delegation
AP 205 Controversial Issues
AP 205-1 Notice Form under Section11.1 of the Alberta Human Rights Act
AP 280 Program Evaluation
AP 380 Appeals Concerning Students