It is the responsibility of the Board of Trustees to provide visionary leadership in the provision of educational services in keeping with the expectations of the community. This objective is best achieved when there is a clear and coherent statement of foundational principles to inform decisions and the operations of the division.
The Board shall monitor the operation of the division to ensure it adheres to and reflects the beliefs and ideals presented in the Foundation Statements.
Foundation Statements: Mandate
- To improve the life chances of ALL students
- To create powerful learning environments that inspire excellence in learning and support the well- being of all students
- All students complete their programs with a sense of dignity, purpose, and hope.
- Honesty & integrity
- Fairness & empathy
- Responsibility & Accountability
- Continuous improvement
- Education must be a hopeful activity.
- All students can be passionate, successful learners.
- Our primary purpose is facilitating student development in the academic, social and personal realms.
- The teacher at the front of the class is a powerful model and the most influential variable in student learning.
- Learning best occurs in a positive, safe, and supportive environment that enhances well-being, resiliency, and a respect for diversity.
- Positive relationships are at the foundation of good learning.
- Students will respond positively to quality programs and high expectations.
- Student learning should be active, interactive, and appropriate to the individual.
- Technology must be used appropriately and innovatively to enhance learning.
- Students must be prepared for life in a rapidly changing civil democratic society.
- The school system must function seamlessly as part of the larger social fabric.
- The system must be aligned to maintain focus and coherence.
- The system must be open and transparent with frequent communication between stakeholders.
- The system is an evolving learning community.
- Programming must adhere to the requirements of Alberta Education and respect the expectations of the communities served.
Revised: November 29, 2012, March 29, 2008
Reference: School Act, Section 45, 47, 78