Literacy is one of the primary learning focuses in WRSD. Our schools use the Fountas and Pinnell (F&P) benchmarks to actively assess our students reading levels. These benchmarks are essential to help teachers and principals find reading levels and align WRSD support. The support of WRSD helps our schools by:
- Using reading levels to guide instruction
- Providing intervention when students are below grade level
- Building a stronger culture of literacy in our schools
The Fountas and Pinnell (F&P) benchmarks results for our schools can be found here. These results allow teachers to see gaps in student learning and address them using targeted strategies.
The three year Literacy Framework for WRSD is composed by teachers and principals in our schools. The framework was developed in the 2015-2016 school year. It is designed to develop a structure to take the learning and growth from to spread to all schools in the division.
The Literacy Framework has four Division Goals for literacy:
- Identify the instructional reading level (comprehension, fluency, accuracy) of all students in WRSD to accurately inform practice to allow for differentiation in instruction and to increase the number of students reading at or above grade level.
- Support targeted students (RTI) with intensive literacy interventions for short term to increase literacy in all areas.
- Build awareness of literacy instructional supports that all educators can use to support literacy development K-12.
- Increase community connections and build a school culture of literacy that permeates throughout the community increasing literacy skills.